Pages

Wednesday, May 13, 2015

EXPECTING: PRODUCER a.k.a THE PRODUCERS!!!




Have you ever dreamed of a drama that have all of your favorite cast, your dream storyline, the production team you adore and respect and the cameo that can steal the spotlight from the lead? I have and my dream is finally about to come true. I don’t know about anyone else, but Producer or The Producers is definitely the k-drama I’ve been waiting for. Even just for reading the article about it – before it airs – I’m already possessed with my excitement. My lips can’t stop smiling from ear to ear when I read the bill of the cast. My heart can’t stop thumping when I saw the teaser and the stills. My mind can’t stop counting till the days the drama will finally air. Therefore, this short-of-an-expectation-post will probably full with my praise and admiration to the drama, so pardon me (in advance).

SYNOPSIS:


A drama showing behind the scenes of what happens on a variety show!
Baek Seung Chan stars as a variety show PD who needs to make the next big hit. He costars with Cindy, who plays a pop star, Tak Ye Ji as a music show PD, and Ra Joon Mo as another veteran variety show PD.

Cast
Cha Tae Hyun as Ra Joon Mo
Kim Soo Hyun as Baek Seung Chan
Gong Hyo Jin as Tak Ye Ji
IU as Cindy
Kim Jong Kook as Kim Hong Soon (open concert PD)

Production Credits
Director: Seo Soo Min, Pyo Min Soo, Park Chan Yool, Lee Dong Hoon
Screenwriter: Park Ji Eun, Kim Ji Sun
Broadcast network: KBS2
Broadcast period: 2015-May-15 to 2015-June-20

[taken from Koreandrama.org]

EARLY THOUGHTS:


The Producers is like a perfect four tier wedding cake – with attractive and out of the ordinary plot in the bottom/ fourth tier, strong and genius production team in the third tier, the popular and fun cameos as well as supporting casts in the second tier, and the hit maker as well as cream of the crop main casts – every k-drama enthusiasts (or at least me) ever dreamed of. As big fan of Korean variety shows and Korean dramas, the plot of The Producers is certainly receiving a direct approval from me. Like I said in the introductory passage, it is everything I’ve ever dreamed of. With Korean variety shows as my breakfast and Korean dramas as my lunch, I can finally enjoy the two of it together in the form of The Producers for my dinner. This drama is picture-perfect. I hope my big expectation will not change into big disappointment after it aired.


Anyway, the plot is marvelous. I’ve already mentioned about my passion in media and how I love watching every single thing related to it in my at-a-glance-review for Pinocchio. The Producers’ plot is pretty much the same. The different is if Pinocchio take journalism and the news department’s life as its theme, Producer is taking entertainment department or what we call here in Indonesia as production department – the place where all variety shows, music shows, quizzes, hence in-house programs are born. I hope The Producers will answer my soaring curiosity of how the Korean TV’s production department looks like. Because, as we all know, they always come up with genius programs; either it is insanely funny variety shows or amazingly spectacular music shows or even a heart touching talk show. And now, (once again), they will repeat their genius work (hopefully) with The Producers.


As much as I love the lovey-dovey side of one drama, I must say that I’m not expecting too much romance from The Producers. What I hope is that the drama will bring out healthy and interesting competition and the behind the scene story of how these producers maintaining their programs and jobs. I also want to see how each producer, from different department and programs, bonding with each other and how is the process-making of one program. Yet, a little bit of romance won’t hurt too much. I just hope that romance will not interfere with these producers’ work performance and the drama will be as real as how the producers in KBS used to work.


How the producers dealing with their artists and K-Pop stars also something interesting to watch since I want to know who respect who. Not to mention a bunch of interesting and prominent cameos that will be some kind of vitamins to the show. Ah, can’t wait!


Oh and with all of the Gong Hyo Jin-and-Kim Soo Hyun-should-not-be-a-couple commotion that are going on right now, I must say that I’m ok with it as long as they can pull it off, and seeing both of the stars’ competence, I think they can pull it off perfectly. FYI, Kim Soo Hyun has romanced Jun Ji Hyun – which is way older than him – in My Love From another Star and he still can depict his love for her flawlessly. So another romance with a PD-noona is definitely right on his alley, right? Their interaction on the teaser below is also way cuter than his interaction with IU.

Cha Tae Hyun as Ra Joon Mo

Enough with the plot, now let’s move on to the cast. First on the list is the irresistible and genius actor, Cha Tae Hyun. I can’t think of another actor who will be a perfect match for Ra Joon Mo role except from Cha Tae Hyun. Aside from the fact that he is the real cast of variety show 1 Night 2 Days, which will be his program in the drama, Cha Tae Hyun is among other versatile actors who can play any role and pull it off perfectly. He can make people terrified, laugh their ass off or crying out loud just by playing one character. Honestly, this is the first drama from Cha Tae Hyun that I’m about to watch. I never watched any of his drama before. I’ve always admiring his acting through his successful movies. So, I’m a bit exciting to see what he will be like in a drama. A fusion of how he is in movies and how he is in variety shows will certainly be something enticing to watch.

Gong Hyo Jin as Tak Ye Ji

As for Gong Hyo Jin, I’m forever her fan. As I mentioned in my review for her latest drama It’s Okay It’s Love here, I wrote that I’m finally putting her on my topnotch actress list after watching her performance in that drama. And now, I’m probably will put her on the top of my topnotch actress list if she can pull of the role of Tak Ye Ji flawlessly. By seeing the teaser and the stills, I know I’m halfway there. She can’t give a bad acting because she’s a brilliant actress. And the role of Tak Ye Ji fit her perfectly. Her strong aura and figure will unquestionably support her role as a fierce music show senior PD. And by looking at the drama’s stills and teasers, it looks like she will also be as fashionable as she can be like she always did in her previous dramas. I’ve already loved the top she wears in the teaser!

Kim Soo Hyun as Baek Seung Chan

Hot guy alert! It’s Kim Soo Hyun’s comeback appearance on weekly dramas! He is undoubtedly one of the top of the line actors today in k-drama world. His presence only will make the drama rating-darling. Adding a genius and interesting plot and remarkable character for him to play is another thing that will definitely launch the drama into popularity. Just like Cha Tae Hyun, Kim Soo Hyun also known as one of the versatile actors. He can play almost anything; whether it’s a King, a country bumpkin, a secret spy, or an alien. Playing the role of rookie PD Baek Seung Chan is certainly not a difficult job for him. From what I see in the teaser, Baek Seung Chan will be short of a clumsy and optimistic rookie PD who still has yet to know the cruel world of television and his innocence as well as his passion for broadcasting will be his unique charm. Dazzling smile and dorky looks of Kim Soo Hyun will fit perfectly with the character. Seeing the plot, it looks like Producer will be a fun drama with less crying scene, so I’m not sure if we can see a glimpse of Kim Soo Hyun’s first-class crying act in this drama.

IU as Cindy

I’m so thankful that the production team landed their choice on IU instead of other idol-actresses in the industry today. I always think that IU is the best idol-actresses today. Compared to other idol-actresses, she always give me such a promising performance and make me forget that she start her career as a singer and not an actress. Her role as a starlet Cindy also looks interesting. It will be 360 degrees different with her previous characters. You know, IU always plays the role of cheerful and jolly girl who never stop to dream and always optimistic in any situation. From the articles about the drama I read, Cindy is one cold and snob top starlet. You can see what she looks like in the teaser. If other characters seem to bond with each other, Cindy looks like she can’t handle Baek Seung Chan’s passionate story and ignore Ra Joon Mo’s flirting, even at the end of the teaser she seems to have fun with Ra Joon Mo. I don’t care who she will romance in the drama, both of the male leads are ok for her.


And on top of these amazing things, I finally can see how Kim Jong Kook will act for the first time! His appearance in the drama is among other things why I’m so excited with Producer. It’s so exciting to see Mr. Capable will act alongside his true best friend, Cha Tae Hyun. Kim Jong Kook’s character as Kim Hong Soon, an ambitious senior producer who will compete with Cha Tae Hyun’s character Ra Joon Mo, also interesting. I hope there will be some romance between him and anyone who is pretty in the drama.


The production team is also as outstanding as the cast. The screenwriters and directors are top tier screenwriter and director in TV or even film industry.  I don’t know about Kim Ji Sun screenwriter-nim, but Park Ji Eun screenwriter-nim is the one that brought us the lovely fictional story of how an alien fall for a human in My Love from Another Star while the directors:  Seo Soo Min, is one of the directors of the insanely funny show Gag Concert, Pyo Min Soo is the man behind the successful story of Full House and the recent popular k-drama Fool’s love, Park Chan Yool is the producer of a blockbuster movie Snowpiercer and the screenwriter of Korean movie Old Boy, and Lee Dong Hoon  is the man who direct last year’s hit k-drama God’s Gift 14 Days. Pretty Truly promising production team, right?



So, with those amazing plot, casts, and gifted production team, it is not a sin to put my big expectation for The Producers, right?

BONUS TEASERS:  


 




No comments:

Post a Comment