Pages

Wednesday, October 7, 2015

[Editorial] Trending Now: Noona Romance




Despite of all the diversities and uniqueness each currently-showing or recently-ended dramas broadcasted this year, there is one similarity I found: a Noona Romance.

Seriously writer and casting director, what is it with pairing younger actor with older actress for the leading roles? Is it something based on a “2015 drama casting guidance” ?

Maybe Noona Romance is now trending in dramaland. Some Noona Romances are quite all right, but one or two are too ridiculous and not easy to watch.

Let me outline those romances one by one and my judgment as a kdrama viewer.


Tak Ye Jin – Baek Seung Chan (Producers)

The first is Producers, which was pairing the forever Noona’s lover Kim Soo Hyun with the edgiest Noona alive, Gong Hyo Jin as junior PD named Baek Seung Chan and senior PD named Tak Ye Jin respectively. Thanks to the superior acting of both actors, their romance story is something most viewers (or just me) love to see and witness. Having a vast experience with having a Noona as his love interest in a number of productions, Kim Soo Hyun as Baek Seung Chan pulled out a great performance in showing his love for a fierce yet fragile Noona, Taek Ye Jin. On the other hand, Gong Hyo Jin’s remarkable acting also showed that age is nothing but a number. Though their love story is not ended beautifully, they’ve at least showed a moving journey of a wondrous unrequited love.

JUDGMENT: APPROVED


Jo Kang Ja – Go Bok Dong (Angry Mom)

The story between these two still count as a romance, right? Though it is a one-sided love, the story between the mighty Jo Kang Ja and pure rebel Go Bok Dong is another Noona Romance grouped under this year’s dramas. Unlike the Noona Romance between Tak Ye Jin & Baek Seung Chan, these two’s romance is slightly irritating me. Sure, Kim Hee Sun is a beautiful lady as Jo Kang Ja in this show, but pairing her with the absolutely gorgeous young blood Ji Soo is somehow odd. I love Angry Mom. Its story is amazing and addictive. But come on, pairing these two is definitely a bad move. I slightly hope that Ji Soo or Go Bok Dong will have its own amazing love story, even though it’s just a little. But not with Jo Kang Ja. They’re practically like a mother and a son.

JUDGMENT: OPPOSED  


Byun Ji Sook – Choi Min Woo (Mask)

This pair is all right. Their romance journey started off really cold and ended up warm, which is always become a lovely thing to see. Soo Ae as Byun Ji Sook is having no difficulties in showing her love for her dongsaeng Joo Jin Hoo in the show. On the other hand, unlike what he did in Princess Hours – which is a good job – I find that Joo Jin Hoo is slightly clumsy and lacking something in his acting ability when he has to show his love for his noona love interest. Nevertheless, I approve these two romance story.

JUDGMENT: APPROVED


No Woo Ri - Ji Won Yeong (We Broke Up)

Finished this drama in one sit and I felt like I wasted my time watching it. Even so, I still have to include this pair into the list, since it is an obvious Noona Romance drama. I feel so sorry for the leading roles in the drama, Sandara Park and Kang Seung Yeon, because from what I see, both of them are outshined by the second lead roles (Hyoni Kang & Jang Ki Young). The way they romances each other is also lacking. I love YG Entertainment and everyone under the YG Flag, but I’m sorry Dara & Seung Yeon, I have to oppose your love story because it is not fine-looking.

JUDGMENT: OPPOSED


Cha Ji Ahn – Lee Hyun (I Remember You)

I’m supperrr approve this pair’s romance. Just get dating already Jang Nara and Seo In Guk! You guys are definitely made for each other. This OTP is one of the best OTPs in 2015’s drama. The way they looked at each other, the way they stared at each other, the way they comforted each other, the way they protected each other, the way they spent their day together are nothing but perfect. Just like what I wrote here, Cha Ji Ahn and Lee Hyun’s romance is one of the best adult’s romances ever in dramaland, in which it involves maturity and logic and pushing aside foolish-for-love or lovey-dovey tropes. Despite of their age-gap, Seo In Guk seems to take the lead as a man and never let his woman off his guard. For every young actors out there who has to romance older actress, you boy can learn from Seo In Guk on how to treat your Noona the right way.

JUDGMENT: HIGHLY APPROVED!


Han Yeo Jin – Kim Tae Hyun (Yongpal)

I’m a bit confuse to decide whether this pair did a good job or not in portraying their love story since I’m still stuck in episode 7 of Yongpal and (strangely) find it hard to continue watching it. Seriously – on another note – it always hard for me to complete Joo Won’s dramas, though I have nothing “special” – whether super hate or super love – feeling toward him; I’m always stuck in the middle of his dramas and eventually dropped it. Anyway – back to a Noona romance topic – fortunately I can still see a glimpse of their about-to-grow romance story up to the aforementioned episode. I’m going to say that Joo Won did a great job in showing his growing affection for Kim Tae Hee – probably because he already loved, I mean adored, her in reality. So to sum it up, the two’s romance is totally fine I guess, because a Noona like Kim Tae Hee is a Noona you cannot not love.

JUDGMENT: APPROVED (for now)


Kim Hye Jin – Ji Seong Joon (She Was Pretty)

If there is a dongsaeng that a Noona want to spend her life with, he is definitely Park Seo Joon. Park Seo Joon has been deemed as Noona’s favorite dongsaeng after being beautifully portrayed his unconditional love for Ban Ji Yeon (Uhm Jung Hwa) noona in Witch’s Romance. Now, he tries to repeat his success in Noona-Dongsaeng romance in She Was Pretty. Yet, in this show, his character Ji Jeong Joon and his love interest Kim Hye Jin (Hwang Jung Eum) is plotted as the same age characters, though in reality Park Seo Joon is much younger than Hwang Jung Eum. Even though the show has yet to show the blooming romance between these two – since it only reached episode 6 – I believe that Park Seo Joon will do a good job in showing his cute love for Kim Hye Jin.

JUDGMENT: APPROVED



There you go, a Noona romance that has or currently twirling around in dramaland. Which one of those romances you approve or oppose?

2 comments:

  1. Later can you do a review on 'She Was Pretty'? I love both Park Seo Joon and Hwang Jung Eum since their collaboration in Kill Me Heal Me and I am extremely excited for this pair in She Was Pretty:D I love your review hehe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi there!
      Sure, i'm planning to write a review on She Was Pretty after it completes.
      I know, i love both of them too. Their chemistry is amazing!!
      Glad you love my review, thank youuu ;))

      Delete